The Bethel Lutheran Church started as the Norwegian Lutheran Church in 1910. They held services in the former Methodist Church, before they had a building of their own. This church started with 25 families. Pastor Nils Halverson was the first minister. A new building was built in 1917, at a cost of $4,800, not including steel ceilings, a partition, or plastering the basement. When the new building was built, the church was renamed the Bethel Lutheran Church.
Before the time of free will offerings, the congregation would pay 50 cents per service in winter and 25 cents in summer, to pay for fuel and building expenses.
Sunday school was first started in 1920, by Anna Johnson. A choir was started after many failed attempts in 1958.
Information provided by:
New Auburn Centennial Historical Album: 1875-1975