Another church in New Auburn was the Wesleylan Methodist Church, on Dell Street. Then the United Brethren in Christ Church (UB). The UB church was started in 1862, but wasn’t organized until 1883. The church started with 16 members. W.M. Smith was the one who organized the church, and he was the first Pastor. A building wasn’t built until 1886, the parsonage was built in 1916, on the corner of Central Street and Elm Street. In 1985, they burned the mortgage on the church; this was a very happy time.
In 1918 the Methodist Episcopal church went out of service and many members joined the UB Church, they also donated the bell that is still in the church.
In 1946, the Evangelical church joined the United Brethren to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB). In 1968 the Methodist and the EUB joined together, to form the United Methodist Church, in the United Brethren church, on the corner of Central and Elm Street.
The Methodist church had a strong Ladies Aid that did fundraisers, like chicken dinners, or selling homemade items, to raise money for the church. They helped pay for things such as a new roof for the church, and were very helpful in maintaining the church. In 1983 there were 111 members to the church. Many of these members or their families are still part of the church today.
Information provided by:
Centennial: United Methodist Church; New Auburn, Wisconsin 1883-1983 New Auburn Centennial Historical Album 1875-1975.